Dr. Zhang received his PhD in Electrical Engineering at Zhejiang University, China in 2004. He completed his postdoctoral training in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Minnesota. Before joining the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Houston in the Fall of 2012, he was an Assistant Professor at the University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis.
The goal of my research is to advance clinical diagnosis of dysfunction in the human body through the fusion of functional bioelectrical activity/impedance imaging which includes functional neuroimaging, functional muscle activity imaging and functional bioelectrical impedance imaging, electrical stimulation and recording, advanced computational modeling and electrophysiological/biomechanical analysis with applications in investigating the mechanisms of bioelectrical activity in biological tissue and systems. I am also interested in utilizing developed functional imaging technologies to enhance human-machine-interface systems such as brain-computer-interface systems, brain-controlled devices and myoelectrically-controlled prostheses. My research involves both technology developments and experimental studies in human subjects.
- Zhang, Y., Wang, D., and Timm, G.W. A three-dimensional muscle activity imaging technique and its application in assessing pelvic muscle function. Inverse Problems.26(11): 115018, 2010.
- Zhang, Y.,Bicek, A.D., Wang, G., and Timm, G.W. Effects of Periurethral Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation on the Voiding Frequency in Rats.International Urogynecology Journal. 21: 1279-1284, 2010.
- Zhang, Y., Kim, S., Erdman, A.G., Roberts, K.P., and Timm, G.W. Feasibility of Using a Computer Modeling Approach to Study SUI Induced by Landing a Jump. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 37(7): 1425-1433. 2009.
- Zhang, Y., Sweet, R.M., Metzger, G.J., Burke, D.M, Erdman, A.G., and Timm, G.W. Advanced Finite Element Mesh Model of Female SUI Research During Physical and Daily Activities. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. 142: 447-452. 2009.
- Zhang, Y., van Drongelen, W., Kohrman, M., and He, B. Three-dimensional brain current source reconstruction from intra-cranial ECoG recordings. Neuroimage. 42(2):683-695. 2008.
- He, B., Liu, C., and Zhang, Y. Three-dimensional cardiac electrical imaging from intracavity recordings.IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 56(8):1454-1460. 2007.
- Zhang, Y., Ding, L., van Drongelen, W., Hecox, K., Frim, D., and He, B. A Cortical Potential Imaging Study from Simultaneous Extra- and Intra-cranial Electrical Recordings by Means of the Finite Element Method.Neuroimage. 31:1513-1524. 2006.
- Zhang, Y., van Drongelen, W., and He, B. Estimation of in vivo brain-to-skull conductivity ratio in humans. Applied Physics Letters. 89:2239031-3. 2006.
- Zhang, Y., Zhu, S., and He, B. A Second-Order Finite Element Algorithm for Solving the Three-Dimensional EEG Forward Problem.Physics in Medicine and Biology. 49:2975–2987. 2004.
- Zhang, Y., Zou, L., and Zhu, S. Models and Computation Methods of EEG Forward Problem. Journal of Biomedical Engineering. 21(2):337-339. 2004.
- Zhang, Y., Zhu, X., Zhu, S., and He, B. Cortical Imaging Technique.Biomedical Engineering Foreign Medical Sciences. 27(1):13-17. 2004.
- Yao, B., Peng, Y., Zhang, X., Zhang, Y., Zhou, P, and Pu, J. (2020) The Influence of Common Component on Myoelectric Pattern Recognition. Journal of International Medical Research, 48(3): 1-10. doi: 10.1177/0300060520903617
- Li, R., Rui, G., Zhao, C., Wang, C., Fang, F., and Zhang, Y. (2020) Functional Network Alterations in Patients with Amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment Characterized Using Functional Near-infrared Spectroscopy. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, 28(1): 123-132. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2019.2956464
- Wu, Z., Peng, Y., Xu, D., Wu, D., and Zhang Y. (2019) Construction of brain structural connectivity network using a novel integrated algorithm based on ensemble average propagator. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 112: 103384. doi: 10.1016/j.compbiomed.2019.103384
- Ma. Y., Chen, B., Li, R., Wang, C., Wang, J., She, Q., Luo, Z., and Zhang Y. (2019) Driving Fatigue Detection from EEG Using a Modified PCANet Method. Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience, 2019(3): 1-9. doi: 10.1155/2019/4721863
- Dias, N., Zhang, C., Li, X., Neshatian, L., Orejuela, F. J., and Zhang, Y. (2019) Neural control properties of the external anal sphincter in young and elderly women. Neurourology and Urodynamics, 38(7): 1828-1833.
- Wu, Z., Xu, D., Potter, T., and Zhang Y. (2019) Effects of Brain Parcellation on the Characterization of Topological Deterioration in Alzheimer’s Disease. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 11: 113. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2019.00113
- Ning, Y., Dias, N.C., Li, X., Jie, J., Li, J., and Zhang, Y. (2019) Improve computational efficiency and estimation accuracy of multi-channel surface EMG decomposition via dimensionality reduction. Computers in biology and medicine, 112: 103372.
- Gao, Y., Su, H., Li, R., and Zhang Y. (2019) Synchronous Analysis of Brain Regions Based on Multiscale Permutation Transfer Entropy. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 109: 272-279. DOI: 10.1016/j.compbiomed.2019.04.038
- Huang, C., Klein, C.S., Meng, Z., Zhang, Y., Li, S., and Zhou, P. (2019) Innervation Zone Distribution of the Biceps Brachii Muscle Examined Using Voluntary and Electrically-Evoked High-density Surface EMG. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 16(1): 1-9. DOI: 10.1186/s12984-019-0544-6
- Zhang, C., Dias, N., He, J., Zhou, P., Li, S., and Zhang Y. (2019) Global innervation zone identification with high-density surface electromyography. IEEE Trans on Biomedical Engineering, 67(3): 718-725. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2019.2919906
- Zhang, C., Chen, Y. T., Liu, Y., Zhou, P., Li, S., & Zhang, Y. (2019). Three dimensional innervation zone imaging in spastic muscles of stroke survivors. Journal of neural engineering, 16(3), 034001. doi: 10.1088/1741-2552/ab0fe1
- Li, R., Potter, T., Wang, C., Wang, J., Shi, Z., Yang, L., Chan, R., Zhang, Y. (2019) Cortical Hemodynamic Response and Connectivity Modulated by Subthreshold High-Frequency Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 13:90. doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2019.00090
- Nguyen, T†., Zhou, T†., Potter, T., Zou, L., and Zhang, Y. (2019) The Cortical Network of Emotion Regulation: Insights from Advanced EEG-fMRI Integration Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 38(10): 2423-2433. doi: 10.1109/TMI.2019.2900978
- Li, X., Zhang, C., Dias, N., Liu, J., Hu, F., Yang, S., Zhou, Y., and Zhang, Y. (2019) Effects of delivery mode and age on motor unit properties of the external anal sphincter in women. International Urogynecology Journal, 30(6): 945-950.
- Liu, J., Peng, Y., Li, L., Chen, Z., and Zhang, Y. (2019) A Fuzzy Reasoning Model for Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia Classification using Temporal Grayscale Change and Textures of Cervical Images during Acetic Acid Tests. IEEE Access, 7: 13536-13545. doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2893357
- Liu, J., Peng, Y., Li, L., Chen, Z., and Zhang Y. (2019) Better resource utilization and quality of care for cervical cancer screening in low-resourced districts using an internet-based expert system. Technology and Health Care: Official Journal of the European Society for Engineering and Medicine, 27(3): 289-299. doi: 10.3233/thc-181577
- Liu, J., Du, H., Lu, H., Peng, Y., Li, L., & Zhang, Y. (2019). Comparison of Classifier Configurations for the Classification of Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia Using Acetic Acid Test Images. Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics, 9(6): 1103-1111
- Wu, Z., Potter, T., Wu, D., and Zhang, Y. (2019) Denoising high angular resolution diffusion imaging data by combining singular value decomposition and non-local means filter. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 312: 105-113. doi: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2018.11.020